Is sterling silver hypoallergenic?

Posted by Rachel Gledhill on

The skinny on whether sterling silver is hypoallergenic

Yes it is! Well usually...You’ll often see the number 925 banded around with sterling silver. That’s because sterling silver is 92.5% silver and the remaining 7.5% is other metals – usually copper. 100% silver is too soft to use as jewellery so it needs to be mixed with other metals to make it usable.

The metal most likely to cause skin irritation is nickel, approximately 15% of people are allergic to nickel to some degree. And sterling silver in the UK and EU doesn’t contain nickel. So yes, sterling silver that you buy in the UK and EU will be hypoallergenic which means that your skin won't get irritated by any sterling silver jewellery you buy from Goulter-Bennetts. Sorted


Share this post



← Older Post

Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out